Sunday, June 20, 2010

mmm...herbs!

It's so weird to be going back in time to catch you all up on our festivities...but it must be done! You must be apart of all our milestones. So today...you're going to witness my very first planting project. Yes, I'm officially "green thumbed". During Memorial Day weekend, all the nurseries were having their sales, so we took advantage and bought a couple herb plants... ok...more like six because I have this inability to make decisions when it comes to things that smell good. With Matt's wise guidance we chose: Parsley, Basil, Cilantro, Rosemary, Lemon Thyme and Oregano. I picked up these cute pots from Old Time Pottery and we headed home to begin planting! My only stipulation was that they stayed inside. I didn't want to have to deal with the rabbits and whatever else attachs herbs... so we decided on the kitchen window sill.




Matt had me read the directions on each package to make sure we potted them just right and so that I learned the different herbs and their uses. (In my head I'm thinking...they can all go together... or I'll google this later) Anywho, he showed me how to plant with the gardening soil (we apparently have a warehouse stock in the garage!...I need to monitor his outdoor activities more closely).






Before I knew it, I finished my first pot! (The Cilantro). How cute is it!! I almost feel bad knowing I'll be cutting at it for the rest of its herbing life! We finished the other five pots within a few minutes. We then planted the Romaine lettuce and tomato plant in large pots for outside. Wait, I forgot to mention we purchased those too... they were on sale!! We took the herbs inside and watered them down real good...wiped them off (because there is no dirt allowed on my kitchen counters!) and placed them on the windowsill.






I can't wait to find some recipes to use them in!

Anyone have any great recipes using fresh herbs?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I love the two-toned pots. I've not seen those. You are lucky too because you have windows in the kitchen. I really wish I did so I could grow my herbs year round.
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!