Tuesday, October 26, 2010

False Advertising

Growing up I've always been a huge commercial buff!  And let's be honest...they get better with time.  I mean, the baby E*trade commercials are the best right now!  Just plain classic goodness in my eyes. 

So imagine me at 10 years old when I get exposed to the ever so popular Tropicana commercial featuring the straw in the orange. 


Now you need to understand some background in my childhood.  I didn't enjoy peeling fruit.  It was a weird situation to me that I had to take skin off to get to something edible.  Rather than de-skin I resorted to foods such as applesauce, yogurt and smoothies for my fruit intake.   Then I discovered the apple slicer and that opened up new doors...and also a completely different story. 
So back to the orange situation.  Was it really that easy to get fresh orange juice?!   
I tried it.  I got an orange... broke three straws trying to puncture a hole, so I went and got a screwdriver which did the trick.  I then proceeded to stuff a straw into the orange and suck till my cheeks hurt.  Nothing.  I think I got a pulp chunk but that was as satisfying as it got.  
I felt betrayed.
Lied to.
Made a fool. 
Thirsty.

It was then that I swore off oranges...unless they were pre-peeled.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I've always wanted to try that! Flipping Tropicana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehee, I hope your parents kept you busy when you were little. Sounds like you were the very curious type. :D

    There's still lots of false adverts around, I hate it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha, too funny! Seriously, I think everyone wondered if they could do it ... but probably not many of us attempted, hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!