Monday, October 25, 2010

A Non-recipe Fall Meal

I apologize ahead of time for my non-measuring cooking style!  I seriously don't know what I was thinking experimenting with some ideas and not taking the time to write it down...or even take some pics. lol.  Guess I was hungry!   But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Let's start with my inspiration.  I was at the doctor's office and grabbed a Kraft Foods Magazine (AMAZING!)  Anywho...I beelined it to the recipe section to tear out some potential, but someone already beat me to it...rude to my life.  And, yes...I'm the person who tears out recipes in publicly shared magazines.  (Hangs head in shame)  
At least they left the pictures, so imagine how bad my mouth was watering when I stumbled on a roasted harvest vegetable medley and a pan fried pork with apple glaze....yum!   I decided to experiment for our Sunday lunch.   This is the best recipe I could manage.  :) 

Roasted Harvest Vegetable Medley

3 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes 
2 Small Onions chopped into large pieces.
1 Butternut Squash
2 Carrot Sticks chopped
Fresh Parsley
Chives
Olive Oil
Brown Sugar
Butter

Cut the squash in half long wise and spread with some butter and brown sugar (salt and pepper to taste).  Bake at 400F until edges get soft.  Take out and cool then peel.  Chop it up into chunks.  Set aside. 
Chop the potatoes into large chunks and boil for about 10 min.  You don't want them fully cooked.  Drain and dry off as much water as you can.   
In a large skillet warm some olive oil and add the onions to brown.  Then add the carrots.  Lastly add the potatoes and squash.  Cover and let that cook for about 15 - 20 min or until Squash and potatoes are cooked through and browned.   Add parsley and chives to taste and for some green color. 
In a small microwaveable bowl heat about 2 tbsp of butter with 2 tbsp brown sugar.  Turn the heat down on the skillet and pour sugar mixture over the vegetables. Mix and serve! 

Apple Glazed Pork Chops

Boneless Pork Chops
Lawry's Hawaiian marinade
Brown Sugar
Apple Jelly

The recipe is all about the marinade.  I let the pork chops sit in it with some salt, pepper, and brown sugar for about an hour.  If I had more time I would marinate it for a couple more hours. 
I put the pork on a low heat skillet and cooked through on both side.  I added some more of the marinade to cook and sprinkled on some more brown sugar.  
After I arranged on a plate and poured some homemade crab apple jelly on top... Delish! 
If I had another citrus jelly (apricot, tangerine, marmalade) I would have used them as an option too. 


5 comments:

  1. Holy Yummy-licious cooking K!! It all sounds absolutely amazing- you are making *my* mouth water now!

    And that someone got to tear out the Dr.'s Office recipes before you... rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That sounds amazing! I want to make that minus the pork. Hubby likes pork so maybe I can make this for him!

    What a great wife you are! :) Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try making it with grilled chicken! Marinate a boneless chicken breast for a few hours... I bet that would be yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what?! i think i will try it with grilled chicken!

    i love meat that has been marinated for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.. let is know how it comes out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!