Monday, December 20, 2010

Chicken Philly Love!

I cooked a lot this weekend.  The problem was I was craving all the wrong food and to save money and my day of treadmill love, I decided to try and DIY my food with a healthier twist lol.

So I wanted Penn Station's Chicken Philly...without the greasy bag.

I had frozen chicken in stock so I threw those in a skillet full of water and a little bit of olive oil and salt.  I covered it and let it boil for about 20 min.  (They were cooked through and tender enough to shred).  I cut them up to chunks and put them aside.
I then sauteed some onion and mushrooms (I would have done some green and/or red pepper too if I had some on hand).   
I then added the chicken and seasoned with: poultry seasoning, black pepper and seasoned salt.
I then added a few slices of swiss cheese on top, shut off the heat and covered the skillet to melt the cheese. 
Meanwhile I took the hoagie and buttered it (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) then grilled in on the stove. 
I cut up some Romaine lettuce and a tomato (Matt doesn't like tomato so I slice it very thin and hide them in the fold of the sandwich...what?!  I want my hubby to grow up big and strong!

I then added the chicken mix to the sandwich and paired it with some hash browns. 
He loved it. Tomatoes and all.

8 comments:

  1. OMG!! This is sooo funny!! You hid the tomatoes!! How clever!!! :)

    That sandwich looks amazing!

    I did a big cooking thing this weekend too! I will have to blog about it!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture of Matt is hysterical. And the hidden-tomato-project? Classic.

    You can come over and cook for me ANY TIME you'd like- you know that, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO making this. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that's hilarious, our men are like big kids sometimes :) I love me some Penn Station, just had it last night actually :) But of course a healthier version would be nice! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow!! This looks AMAZING! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!