Friday, December 17, 2010

Who's Santa?


"I never believed in Santa Clause" - Kathy

Yup.  I was that child that all parents feared letting their little ones play with because I held truth beyond my years.  The funny thing was I didn't realize I had that power.   Growing up we (my sister and I) just weren't even introduced to the concept.   Maybe it's because our parents didn't grow up with tradition (in Uganda) and therefore it didn't become a priority in our home.
Don't get me wrong...Jen and I did wonder sometimes of his existence.  In fact, one year I went and put a plate of cookies and milk out near the fireplace.  I had overheard some kids talking about it on the playground...so I figured... heck, why not.
They were still there in the morning.  I thought maybe he was just full from all the other houses.  But he didn't even leave a "Thanks anyways" card... or sip at the milk.


The other characters through the year didn't fit the bill either:

Easter Bunny: This was so bizarre to us.  Why was a bunny laying eggs and hiding them?  (Yes, being kids of a chemist we were taught early on that mammals do not lay eggs...)  Mom had us dye eggs for a couple years... but that didn't stick.  My first easter egg hunt was actually in college. Matt heard about my "sad childhood" and set one up outside my apartment.  He even made bunny footprints on the stairs with flour.  lol... too cute. (The urge to vacuum was overwhelming)


Tooth Fairy:  Once I realized there was money to be made I was losing teeth like crazy.  Little did I know there was a profit cap.  But the whole tooth fairy idea flew out the window when dad woke me up while raising my pillow.  The nail in the coffin would be when I found a small plastic bag in my parents closet that read "Katherine's first teeth".  Wow... creepy and insightful all at the same time.
So now Matt and I have been discussing whether or not we'll lie to our kids only to have them have that heartbreaking moment when reality hits.  Matt is convinced the bullies at school will break the news and we'll be there to comfort them.  (First off, Matt....why will my kids get bullied?!)  He also said the older ones will let the younger ones know.  But what about that first born?!
I just don't know because I don't have the experience.

Curious to hear your thoughts. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kathy. I laughed out loud so many times reading this post. You are hysterical. Your little comments... priceless.

    As far as these things go, I always believed in all the little mythical creatures that my parents told me about. I think it's fun to feel the excitement and anticipation of it all. That said, my sister did ruin Santa for me. I was devastated. But then in turn, ruined it for a classmate of mine [sorry Andy]. My sister learned from her own mistake and now has threatened her first born to not PEEP about Santa to his younger brothers... or else. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at your comments! And you have a real keeper there in your husband. The fact that he would go out of his way like that to do Easter bunny stuff for you... priceless.

    I did grow up with Santa Claus, and realized he was just my parents when I was seven or eight. I think I woke up in the middle of the night and got excited because I heard Santa then saw my daddy bringing something into the house. haha

    I told my oldest son about Saint Nicholas when he was eight. That explained where the whole tradition comes from, and he appreciated it. Now he helps us stir up that sense of wonder for his little siblings, and it is fun and exciting. When they are older, I will explain to them about Saint Nicholas too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha, OMG!!!

    SERIOUSLY!!! Your childhood is my childhood! It is so amazing to read this and just know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

    What's really strange about this post is that Sean and I were talking about this a few days ago. I was telling him how I didn't know what I was going to tell our kids. I am still thinking about it.

    I wish I had that excitement that some of the kids had. I have so many friends who have no hard feelings or think that their parents lied. They all remember it with happiness of their childhoods. I think I want to bring that smile to their face one day ... to have a little imagination and some magic. I'll see when I get there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. My childhood was totally the same with yours. Now, we talk about how to deal with our children too. I am so against lying, but sometimes think it would be fun for children to add some fantasies. We may make up our own characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! You're so funny!

    My childhood is pretty much the same. We were exposed to the concept of Santa while we were in the US (I was about 3). My parents did not tell us Santa was real they just allowed us to enjoy the concept. So we knew he was a fun creature to know about and he made Christmas seem magical but we knew the birth of Christ made it even more magical. I still don't understand the Easter bunny - makes no sense at all but Matt is such a darling for doing that for you - too cute!

    I'm not going to let me kids believe Santa is real- also because I don't have much help here in Uganda:) but they'll understand and enjoy the concept just like we did and understand who's birthday it really is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww Matt doing the whole Easter bunny thing in college is just too sweet! We have let our girls just "believe" in what's in their hearts. McKenzy is 7 and this year she asked a lot more questions about Santa. It's probably only a matter of time, but she just follows her heart. We were honest with all questions though, we just didn't come out and say he's not real.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!