Tuesday, January 18, 2011

DIY Mosaic Sunburst Mirror

This project was really exciting!  I have to give full credit to Bobi at Shoestring Sophistication.  She made this gorgeous sunburst mirror using a plastic charger plate.  Well I had a couple of those laying around the house from when I was planning the wedding so I figured I would give it a go for the blue room.  I added a little twist though.

Supplies:
- Charger Plate (from Old Time Pottery...had it from before)
- Spray Paint (From the garage)
- Mirror ($3 from Hobby Lobby)
- Beads ($2 from Hobby Lobby)
- 4 bags of dowels ($8 from Hobby Lobby)
- Hanging bracket (had in tool box)
Total: $13.00
This is a glue gun project...and  you will use a lot of glue!

All I had were gold chargers and I wanted brown...so I sanded it down and spray painted it using Krylon.  This is a one time process.  After the  paint dries you can not come back and respray it.  The solvent in the spray paint will eat up the original coat.  I learned this the hard way when I went to go touch up some scratches.  That's where the beads came in handy!
I then affixed the mirror to the center and began attaching the beads to the outside edge.  Make sure to make a nice seal along the edge of the mirror and plate. (Note: You will burn yourself a couple times...stay tough.  DIY projects aren't for the weak.)



 Then it was time to attach the dowels.  Unlike Bobi, I attached mine to the very bottom of the plate.  (I was excited that I didn't read her instructions carefully haha... but it still came out ok)  When they were all on there I glued in between each of them to make sure they were secure and then glued on the bracket to hang it on the wall.
 I then spray painted the dowels and flipped it over and sprayed the front.  This is when I tried to touch-up the scratches on the plate (they showed up gold) but the paint started eating itself... awesome.  So I got more beads and made a mosaic design to cover it up.
Now it was time to hang it up!





This was a really fun project!  I would definitely recommend it!  Thanks Bobi for the inspiration! 
HOUSEography House Tour Link Party


6 comments:

  1. K-dawg- you are killing me with all your creativity!! I'm loving this DIY mirror, how fun!? I actually like the additional beads better too- funny how some things like that work out. And it's a PERFECT addition to your blue room. Beautiful.

    Now can you please come do my place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for something inexpensive that I can make or purchase that will take up some space on the walls in my room. And well, I think this is the project I'll be trying to recreate. It looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you amaze me! you are incredible! WOW!

    i can't get over how good this looks! amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could post a photo as my comment coz my jaw is dropping!!!!!!!!!!! For real! Wow!

    I want to be like you one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the sweet comments! Seriously motivating to me to get more projects done! Smooches!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you're not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!