Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Onion Rings! Yum!

I honestly didn't start eating fried onions until college.  I never knew what I was missing with Outbacks blooming onion...or Tony Roma's onion stack!  But oh yum!  Thing is I don't fry food.  Like ever.  If there is a baking option I go for that.  I don't even make fried chicken... cause I have this killer corn-flake recipe... oh, but that's for another post!

So I've made these onion rings before and did the bake option and it just wasn't up to par.  at all.  So this is my onion ring recipe all fried up!

(Oh...and I didn't measure because it's all relative)

Ingredients: 
1 - 2 large sweet onions sliced
Milk
Flour
4-8 egg whites
Bread crumbs (Plain or flavored)
Seasoning
Vegetable Oil
Dipping Sauce - I used Thousand Island Dressing

Here's the deal.  When I say "seasoning" it's really your choice.  I did Smoked Paprika, Black Pepper, Season Salt and Garlic Salt.  You can heat it up with some Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle Seasoning.  Oh...and I put these in the bread crumbs.  (Or you can just use Italian seasoned bread crumbs and no additional seasoning)
Pour 1/3 the skillet height with oil and heat on Med High.  Make sure absolutely NO WATER gets into the oil.  So when you wash the onion dry it very well!
Now get ready to get messy. lol.
Line bowls up on the table in this order: Milk--> Flour --> Egg Whites --> Bread Crumbs.

(My picture is backwards...but I have it going left to right on its way to the skillet)
Start dunking the onions one at a time through each bowl then into the frying pan.   
(Prep area before fry time!)
Cook on each side until golden brown.

Then place them in a bowl lined with paper towels.  Season with a little seasoning salt and serve with some Thousand Island Dressing.  Delish!!

Next batch...6 months from now.  Must rest the arteries.

4 comments:

  1. This is just not NICE Kathy!! It's not even 9AM and I'm seriously CRAVING some onion rings. Problem is, I'm craving YOUR onion rings. But I don't fry either. I'm also trying to eat healthy. But, if you came and delivered some of those yummy circles of onion-ness that you cooked as say, a gift.... it would be rude not to accept and eat them all right?

    You have an open invite to my place anytime.

    But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya Tami! It was a treat that we won't be having for some time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! that looks so good! i must make onion rings .. i never have before!

    so funny that you wrote, must rest my arteries! you are really funny k-dawg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this out! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!