Monday, March 14, 2011

Laundry Room Update!

The Laundry room is starting to come together!  We managed to finish up two projects in there this weekend, so that was super excited to make this post.  So here's what's been done!

{Skirting the Situation}
I love our slop sink... but I couldn't stand how `industrial' it made the space look.  Plus, we placed a small laundry basket underneath for Matt's super dirty work clothes.  I needed to figure out a way to hide all that.  I decided to make a sink skirt.  I'd seen some inspiration on the web, and decided to just wing it.  I went to JoAnn Fabrics and got my supplies:

  • Outdoor Fabric (which was on sale!  Score!)
  • Double Fold Bias Tape (Black)
  • Adhesive Velro
Next I measured two panels that would go around the sink and overlap in the front of it.  I hemmed each panel separately and then overlapped them about 3 inches and sewed them together.  I then took the bias tape and stitched it to the top to cover where they overlapped and made a clean line.  On the back I attached the velcro and affixed it to the sink.  It only took me about an hour.  Very simple project... and the results...
Peek-a-boo!  There's the work clothes hamper!!  Now it's not such an eye sore! 
The best part is that the skirt can me removed and thrown in the wash if it gets dirty.  Since it's outdoor fabric it has some resistance to moisture so that's a plus!

{Airing out our "clean" Laundry}
This project came with inspiration from one of my favorite blogs Centsational Girl.  Kate made a drying rack similar to that from Ballard Designs.  It's gorgeous!!  As soon as I saw how easy it was to make I knew I had to attempt it.  Matt helped a lot with this project because I still don't know how to use the circular saw.  I kept trying to explain to him what I wanted and he just looked at me like I was crazy.  So I drew it out for him!

Basically I was wanting a frame border.  We went hunting for one at Goodwill with no such luck so he decided we just make it ourselves.  So off to Home Depot we went!  We got the wood we needed to make a drying rack that would measure 23 inches wide and 30 inches tall.


We had an extra piece of plywood laying around the house from when we made the headboard, so we I covered that in burlap fabric ($2) to serve as the backboard. 
As Matt put together the rack frame I started painting the wood pieces.  I used Krylon's Black Gloss and spritzed it with leftover tan to give it a pretty cool weathered effect. 


To attach the rack to the frame for hanging we used hinge brackets on the bottom and chains on the sides.  The chains were actually from an old piece of costume jewelry I had laying around. 

We then attached everything together (with nails) and onto the wall with drywall screws, making sure one of the screws hit a stud.  I used adhesive magnets at the top and added some Gorilla Glue for extra hold. 
All done!  (I still want to add a small decorative knob on top and do a set of hooks underneath for hangers)


Had to get a picture of it being used! So here's the partially wet wash cloth I used to wipe the tops of the washer and dryer so that they were picture ready. lol
Dry, baby dry!


Now all I need are my Ikea cabinets!!  I refuse to pay shipping, so I need to plan a trip to go visit my sister who lives by one. :)





HookingupwithHoH


16 comments:

  1. That rack is a pretty cool project. It turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many bits of awesomeness in this post there is no way to cover them all. The sink skirt looks fabulous!! And I can't believe was a great deal it was AND how little time it took to put together! And that drying rack... oh wow! It looks amazing Kathy! As you know, I've been wanting one of these for a while now. After seeing how amazing yours looks, you may have officially pushed me to the side of DIYing one vs. buying one. :) Not only do both things look great, but they are functional too. Man, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Tams, it really wasn't a hard DIY just make sure you constantly measure to make sure the rack frame fits into the picture frame...especially after the brackets/chains are installed. We ended up having to take another 1/8 inch off the top of the rack so that it would fit inside! :o lol...but you live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You.
    Are.
    Awesome!!!!

    Wow wow wow, I love your version, that paint is perfect! You're gonna love it, I use my all the time and I'm so proud, as are you I'm sure, to have made it myself!

    BRAVO!!

    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, coming from you I feel so honored! Thanks for the super sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the fact *the* Kate just commented on your blog... umm, are you woozy. Sit down girl, because yes, that was totally for real. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your "{Skirting the Situation}" project; I was just thinking about doing the same to hubby's desk in the "office area" living room. He's got so much hooked up to one computer; the sight of the printer and all the cords kills me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That drying rack is so perfect! Adding to my list of much needed projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooove the drying rack, and the skirting! both look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool drying rack! Thanks for sharing your space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a nifty little craft...I want one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is insanely amazing. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came over from iheartorganizing & LOVE your blog ~ I'm hooked! I'm definitely adding you to my daily things to do list!
    I LOVE your sink skirt & your drying rack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! You truly amaze me every time I catch up with your blog! When we move home I'm gonna have you help me out with some projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy an Matt
    You are too sweet. I loved it, I love this site.

    Love
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just updated my laundry room too. The sink skirt looks great!! The drying rack is perfect, even better that you both did it yourselves!.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!