Thursday, April 7, 2011

April Challenge: "30 things in 30 days" {Shoes}

Let me first start off by saying this is not the place for judgement.  We all have something we...obsess over.  In my case I like to consider my collection of shoes a hobby of sorts.   I seriously don't spend my pay check on them...and I keep them in great condition.  It's no different from stamp collecting really.
So, this month's challenge of purging 30 items in 30 days started last night. (from IHeart Organizing)
I went through the entire house and collected my shoes.  All of them.  The only ones that weren't physically present were my winter and hiking boots (both were dirty in the garage), workout tennis shoes (basement), and a pair of gray leather boots (that were hiding out in my car).  But they were all counted and the final total was...

...again, no judgement.
...66  (not appreciating the gasps people!).   And in all honesty, that top left pair of tennis shoes actually belong two my little sister...so really I have 65.  Matt was in shock.  At one point he mentioned how ashamed he was... and he couldn't stop saying, "oh my gosh".  I mean, did the guy not know what he was marrying into?!

The good news is that I was motivated to purge my life of the excess.  I gathered up 29 pairs to be donated to Goodwill.  Yes, donated.  It was hard at first, but then I just kept thinking they would find another home and make another girl happy. 
 And here they are, all packed up and ready to go!  
 With half the stash gone, the rest fit in our master bedroom closet like a dream.  I got stackable white shelves like these to store them in.
The downstairs shoe closet is so barren now!  I still need to clean it up some more....but it's an awesome start I think.   So now I just need to go through the living room and get some things together.


6 comments:

  1. If you aren't the cutest thing. The photos of you with all your shoes looks so much like a "farwell" photo I couldn't help but wave goodbye too. I'm so proud of you though. And just think, you only have 1 more thing to purge to meet the #30 goal!! You are WAY ahead of the game. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Kathy. Only one more item and you've met the challenge! I have about 22 to go, though I haven't tried very hard yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, i just love you! you make me smile!

    no judgement here! shoes are something to be proud of ... something to always have more of, lol.

    how awesome for you to have donated them .. i think i ought to do the same!

    great job! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did exactly the same thing! But surprisingly enough I had room for just a few new pairs once I'd set up my shelves. But it didnt take long for them to be full again! Now a new rule, 1 pair goes in 1 pair goes out to friends or donated :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm... I will glady take them off your hands if they are size 6.. haha!
    -Cali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy! Like you I also had a HUGE shoe collection...and tell your DH that you are not alone...I had more than that many shoes just in my fall/winter shoes. I did a 21-day purge last fall and got rid a lot of my fall/winter shoes {and it was really tough...emotional ;} so this go around I purged my bags...oh boy! Found some great, affordable shoe organizers at IKEA and it was a lot of work...but so worth it. I still need to purge my summer shoes and will do that once the weather permits...just NOT going up in the attic right now...lol Good luck in the giveaway and have a great day. Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!