Monday, April 25, 2011

Laundry Basket Dresser

I promised you all an intense house cleanup on Good Friday.  Unfortunately due to the family tragedy we received news on, priorities had to change.  On Friday I woke up early with Matt as he went off to work.  Then I got busy cleaning.  We were expecting family friends over for the Easter weekend, so I needed to get things in order.  I didn't get to the closets... but I did manage to get the Laundry Basket Hamper done.
I got the building plans from Ana-White.com.  What an amazing site/blog!  Click on the link to get a complete rundown on supplies and measurements.

We went to Home Depot and picked up the wood.  I decided to use composite wood because it was cheaper and the hamper was going to be painted and put in our bedroom closet (never to be seen again by the public lol) We also picked up a couple saw horses for future projects!

Matt cut up all the pieces using a circular saw (and he gave me a quick lesson on it too!)  He labeled each of the pieces so that I didn't get confused during assembly.

 I then nailed the frame together to get an idea of how it would fit...make sure it all aligned too.
 Then I went back around and screwed the pieces together.

 For the rails we decided to use 1.5" x 1.5" rails rather than metal angles.  It was again...cheaper!  Since the screws I had on hand were 2"...I had to drill a counter sink hole about 1/3 of the way in.


After all the assembly I painted the whole dresser with glossy white acrylic latex paint.  It dried super fast!  In about 2 hours I had it fully ready baskets and all!

Check her out!....



...and of course.  I already made labels for each of the baskets {"Whites", "Lights" & "Darks").  Now whenever each gets full I wash that perfectly sized load!  The best part is how much more room it gives us in our closet. Definitely a plus!










 The DIY Show Off






Photobucket


IhookedupwithHoHlamespice






20 comments:

  1. Nice work!!! I love Ana White, and I'm impressed how quickly you built that, I would have had it spread out 'in-progress' all week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you just don't cease to amaze me! amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!!! Can I be you for a day? That way I'd have all sorts of projects done that I'd never be able to do as me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH, I LOVE this!!! Great job!!!

    Visiting from-

    www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this is such a neat idea! Oh you're my organizing and arts and crafts hero! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is... the BEST idea ever! We have 2 of those exact laundry baskets sitting side by side on our closet floor right now. I want this. I want this. I want this.

    High-fives Kath, you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO awesome! Love your sorting station and am so impressed that it was all done DIY! I am crazy happy you shared with me, and grateful to have you as a reader!

    Thanks so much!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over here from Centsational Girl's link party... what a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for linking up the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea! I'm loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is stinking awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this at Wicked Awesome Wednesday! I would love this idea to help me store all my craft stuff that's all over the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party. I hope you’ll come back again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What an incredible space saver! We SOOO need one of these! Thank you so much for posting this! We, he, will be making one next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE THIS!! I love it so much I featured it this week at my Hookin' Up with HoH party!

    Stop by and grab a button if you'd like!

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO awesome! I really want to do this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this! My laundry room is a walk through, so this would be a really efficient use of space! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! My favorite part is that there is a "maximum" on each basket - when it gets full, you HAVE to do a load of laundry! Great idea to keep on top of the never ending laundry cycle.

    -MJ @ MD School Mrs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your idea and creation here! I have three of these I just cleaned out (stored kids outgrown clothes) They are just sitting there in my laundry room. I knew I didn't want to throw them out - now I hope I can make something like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea! I never thought it would be this easy to put together. Thank you so much for the organizational inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is AWESOME!
    Thanks so much for telling me to come take a peek at it! It's seriously Fabulous! If I can think of a place to put that I will definitely be building one (with full credit to you, of coarse)
    Great Job! LOVE IT!
    Ashli

    ReplyDelete
  20. It would also be cool to use a white basket for whites, a light-colored basket for lights and a black basket for darks, instead of labeling - assuming you can find the same brand & size in different colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you're not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!