Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Healthy Taco Salad

I have a weakness for Mexican food! And  it's so easy to make!  The key to keeping it healthy is avoid the tortilla wraps and excess cheese & sour cream...or use fat free like I do!  ha!   Remember, if you're making a hot Mexican dish... fat free cheese won't melt properly.  I don't know why... just doesn't.  Maybe because it's not cheese...it's a man-made bi-product meant to confuse the consumer into consumption of fake... sorry.  I like/respect cheese.  A lot.

Anywho...
Healthy Taco Salad

Ingredients: 
Tortilla Chips
{Best way to use up those just-turned-stale chips!}
Ground Beef {I used deer meat}
Lettuce
Tomato
Bell Peppers
Cheese
Green Onions
Sour Cream {Fat free!}
Salsa {Homemade is best!}
Avocado
Jalapeños 

First brown the meat.  I use deer {venison} because it's extremely lean!  Seriously, there was really nothing to drain! {Product Review: One of my favorite cooking utensils is my Pampered Chef Mix N Chop...makes cooking ground meat a breeze!  Plus.. it doesn't damage the pan surface}
Drain the meat!  I even go the extra step as to rinse it too. 
Put meat back on the stove and add packet of taco seasoning and water.  Let simmer. 
Meanwhile, cut up all your veggies and begin assembling in a bowl or on individual plates.  I love avocado... so I had a couple slices on my plate.  Matt is the jalapeño guy...so you can tell which is his!



Yummy!  :)
HookingupwithHoH

5 comments:

  1. Mexican is my favorite too (don't tell my Italian family though. boy would *I* be in trouble!)

    That salad looks scrumptious. Just needs a little MORE cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I added more cheese after the picture... shhh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! looks so good! i love making taco salad with ground turkey/chicken!

    i so want to make this, this weekend now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy C! So nice stopping by to meet you :)

    Yum, this healthy taco salad is making me hungry ~ it looks delicious!

    We used to live in Cleveland... many years ago and our first daughter was born there. It holds some special memories for us.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!