Monday, June 27, 2011

Shut the Front Door!

I finished painting our front door and sprucing up the entry way.  And let me say... I am in love with the front of our house now!  Before it was plain "blah blah" beige...everything was beige!!  Pulling up every day was depressing and I had decided in the winter that we would paint our door red....of course, we had to wait for the weather to cooperate long enough to get the project done.  :)
What worked out great was I had extra paint color from the shed {Crap... still need to post about that}so this was a zero expense project in a sense.
So here is a step by step process on how we went from this....
{A picture of our house when it was on the market}
to this... 
The Paint Job - For a metal front door.
1) First off... I removed all the hardware.  I decided to paint the door while still hinged.  Many sites will advice removing the door completely... but I'm slightly stubborn and didn't want to do the work.  lol.  When removing the door knob and lock make sure you put them in a safe spot and don't loose the screws!!
2) Next, I wiped the door down with warm soapy water.  This included the edge with the hinges, because it was being painted too.  {They say to be professional to paint that interior edge that would be visible outside when the door in open}.  I used a fan to speed up the dry process.
{Geez...my hand looks chubby}
{My attempt of a tarp over the door opening was useless...too much wind}
3) Sanding.  This is one of the most important steps.  DO NOT SKIP!  It's important to sand down the surface and crevices to ensure the paint sticks to the door...otherwise, you run the risk of peeling, bubbling or even delamination.  After sanding... I wiped the door down again with the rag removing all dust. 

4) Priming.   I used Sherwin-Williams Latex primer that was tinted a bluish gray.  It dried really fast... I waited about an hour and a half before starting the top coat. I started with the middle sections and the edge..using a small roller and brush when needed.  Had almost forgot to get a picture of the primer before I started the red!! 
{You can see the edge I was describing before}
5) Now it was time to put down the 1st coat of color. {SW A-100 Exterior Acrylic Latex - Fireweed}I ended up painting only two coats total with about an hour in between {using a fan}.  I used a small roller to apply the paint and a brush to get the hard to reach places.
{This was after the 1st coat}
6) Accessorize.  I waited a week before putting the wreath and "Welcome" decal on.  I wanted to make sure the door had a full cure.  The wreath was actually left by the previous owners...but I glued on some flowers to spruce it up.  The decal was from Etsy seller Leen the Graphics Queen. The ceramic jug was the one that was bought at a yard sale about a month ago.






When I set a picture of the finished door to my sister she responded.
"Yay now vampire are going to walk right in because they're automatically invited hehe".   

sigh....

Nothing But CountryHOUSEography House Tour Link PartyThe DIY Show Off











Photobucket




NightOwlCrafting











10 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea! I love the font you used, too... too bad I live in an apartment complex and I can't do anything like that. I also have to hang wreaths inside instead of outside for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go with your handy woman self! Very cute and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference the color makes! Your door looks great, and I love the ceramic jug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that door! I painted ours red as well, but that stencil adds a great touch:) Found you at The DIY Showoff where I'm also posted. I'd love it if you stopped by:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your door. You did a great job on it. I need to do something w/ ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, and I do love the "welcome" on the door. Great job with the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cool!! i've never thought of writing on my front door!! thanks for giving me the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a transformation!!! Perfect!!!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We recently repainted our door... a similar color! Thank you for linking to Sew Woodsy last week! We hope you will join us again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow- talk about a statement! Is it weird that I love your front door so much? Because I totally do. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!