Thursday, July 14, 2011

I've Changed

When we were little, we were constantly asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?".  My aspirations as a little girl revolved through: a ballerina, school crossing guard, pediatrician, wedding planner and interior decorator.  Funny... I ended up a chemist who enjoys decorating and party planning on the side.  :)  But in all honesty as I'm 'growing up' I'm beginning to realize that I've changed a lot.  More so these past few years than in my whole life.  Changes in my likes & dislikes, habits, relationships and even tastes.  This is normal.  I guess I never took the time to sit down and really see all the changes I've made in my life recently.  A lot of it could be contributed to getting married and growing together with my hubs.  But I think most of it comes from maturity.   I consider the last 18 years of schooling to be prep work for the real world.  This is my time to start enjoying the fruits of my labor!  So this leads us to the newest chapter in my life on the wild side.

I cooked...and ate... shrimp.

Now, those of you who know me know that I don't eat seafood.  I constantly try it, but never like it.  Well, at a friends house recently, they cooked skewered shrimp seasoned with authentic Jamaican Jerk seasoning that they brought back from their trip.
 {Now let me give you some background on my seafood issue.  I don't like the smell and the texture of most puts me off.  The odd thing is that when I see a Red Lobster commercial and they're squeezing the lemon over the lobster-fest plate... or rows of shrimp...followed by the filet of grilled salmon...my mouth waters.  Can't explain it.  Maybe I think it'll taste like chicken.}  
Anywho...after the dinner party I decided I was going to give it a go and make a shrimp dinner last night.  I had some Jamaican seasoning from Pampered Chef (I know!...I need to get the good stuff) and I threw on so extra pepper and seasoning salt.   Matt grilled them up and we paired them with chicken broccoli rice and sweet corn.  
Not gonna lie... I finished both skewers before Matt was halfway through his first one.  I don't know what this means?
Matt apparently thought it was time to bust out the country music...since I was all about trying new things.  Um... no.  Way too fast my friend.  :)

4 comments:

  1. You ate SHRIMP?!?! Oh. my. gosh. I can't believe you didn't tell me! You're the worst. Did you like it though? It's sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a seafood person either. I don't think hubby will ever convince me to try shrimp!! I totally understand what a major accomplishment this is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seafood! Hubby hates it so my consumption of seafood has dwindled a big amount ... i try so hard to get him to like it ... i just hope that one day he will be like you ... tastebuds changed and all, haha.

    and i agree about the country music ... a lil at a time, haha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA! Can't jump into the country music yet, eh? :)

    You know- when I met Adam he wouldn't so much as LOOK at seafood. But I'm a New England girl that grew up on the stuff. I'm proud to say, that he now is much more open minded. He even ASKS me to make my salmon recipe (which I'm happy to pass on if you'd like).

    I'm totally proud of you for venturing out of your comfort zone. It's not easy to do, but sometimes the results are really wonderful. Like finding the beauty of SHRIMP!!! YIPEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!