Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rainy Day Yumminess

It's been a rainy week, so I decided to make some homemade chicken soup and these yummy Ham and Cheese Sliders.  I got the recipe from Living, Laughing, and Loving.   I did some tweaking to the recipe...of course lol.
Since we didn't have poppy seeds, I substituted with sesame seeds and black pepper. I also didn't use miracle whip.  Extra calories we did not need!

Ham and Cheese Sliders
adapted slightly from the Recipe Club
24 good white dinner rolls
24 pieces good honey ham
24 small slices Swiss cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup miracle whip


Poppy seed sauce (you probably could half this...I had plenty extra)
1 T poppyseeds
1 1/2 T yellow mustard
1 stick butter, melted {I used a LOT less!}
1 T minced onion
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce


In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and miracle whip. Spread onto both sides of the center of each roll. Place a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss inside of each roll. Close rolls and place them into a large baking dish or heavy cookie sheet. Place very close together.


In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the poppy seed sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over all of the sandwiches. Let sit 10 minutes or until butter sets slightly. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes. Serve warm.


And my favorite part...** sandwiches can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the fridge ready to bake.


The sandwiches were delicious!  Definitely a keeper!


Jam Hands

6 comments:

  1. Looks like that meal came from a restaurant. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That looks and sounds amazing! I cringed when I read the '1 stick of butter' though. Eeeps! I will print and keep this in my file. However right now I need to figure out how to get rid of the equivalent of 2 sicks on my thighs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami... I totally only used a quarter of a stick!! It was too much butter. But the sauce is double what you really need! ;) I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh yum! looks soooo delish!!! very nice presentation too!

    p.s. i went looking for some poppyseeds yesterday for a recipe i want to try but of course couldn't find it ... and go figure the next post i read of yours feature them, haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks sooo good. I actually thought it was from a resturant- great presentation. I hope to become a better cook. Some of you girls are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!!! Glad you tried them! I thought they were SOOOO yummy but very messy with the butter sauce on top. We definitely had way too much of the topping sauce too... could've halved it for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!