Monday, September 19, 2011

Pallet Wood Shoe Rack

Pallet wood is a silent, yet resourceful wood supply.  We have a collection in our shed from handouts at Matt's work..which they would have just thrown away.  We planned on using it as firewood,  but since they were in great condition we've been recycling them for projects around the house.  One such project I found on Pinterest!   It's this shoe rack!
It's exactly what we need in our garage to corral all our various shoes through the seasons.  Ok... to corral all of my various shoes... Still, this project has been on my list for awhile.   Thing is, I needed Matt free to help me with the saw. :)  We had time this past Saturday and busted it out... {along with two other big projects I will be sharing soon!}  So here's what we did...
First, we measured the size shoe rack we wanted to fit right beside our garage door.  Then, Matt took apart a couple pallets and removed all nails and staples with a hammer.
Using the measured dimensions, I cut each board with the miter saw.  {The extra pieces went into the bonfire pile!}
After screwing together the frame we began making each row making sure it accommodated different widths of shoes {From steel toed shoes to flip flops!}. 



At last it was time to attach to the wall.  We first attached two anchor pieces of wood making sure we hit studs.  Then, we attached the rack and started loading it with shoes.  They all fit perfectly! 
The black mat on the bottom is for boots {work and winter}.  I want to get some river rocks to line the bottom. 

So there you have it!  A free shoe rack that only took an hour to make!
Anyone else know of some great uses from pallet wood?
Stay tuned for another one we did... :)

16 comments:

  1. I've had this project on my list forever too. I just love how industrial and recyled and USEFUL it is. And yours came out... brilliantly. Love the idea of river rocks on the mat too. Amazing job K-dawg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it b/c it's a great way to keep shoes in the garage AND off the floor where it may collect dust and creepy crawlies. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it ... you and Matt are so handy! we should take a tip or a million from you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you from "A Little Birdie Told Me" This is such a smart idea! We have a pile of shoes in our garage where we enter the house...it is really horrible! I need my husband to make me one of these shoe stands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this idea! How creative and handy. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need one of those! I have more shoes in the garage than in the closet! Great job!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, I absolutely love this idea -- brilliant! I love that the shoe rack is mounted to the wall and the idea about having the gravel tray for workboots is an excellent one as well. Welcome to "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17! I'm so delighted that you joined the party. I'm spotlighting your post over on my Facebook page today.

    Cheers!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your project so much I featured it :) Thanks for linking!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so awesome! i have a pallet hanging out in my basement and now i know what to do with it!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Makes me wish we still had an attached garage...ok...well maybe not. But like the idea A LOT! So, where's the rest of the shoes?!?!? =)

    I've seen pallet wood outside planters and tables! Where'd you get your pallets? Wondering how I can enlist the hub??? Must be creative with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Danielle, the rest of the shoes are inside. (hall closet, and upstairs)... lol, the pallet rack is for current everyday pairs. :) Matt got the pallets from his work, but ours gives them out too! Good luck with your hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you hang boots on the pallet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually keep my boots on the floor on that shoe pad. So all I have to do is step into them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some of these shoe storage ideas are super easy and some require a little effort but I think they are totally worth it! Because… shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!