Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Yes, we recycle...officially.

I believe recycling is important... though for the past couple years...we haven't been doing so.  I mean, our city claims to sort our trash out at the trash facility but we have our doubts.  So we decided we would set up our own recycling station in the garage, but after searching online for the best deal I was convinced that paying $60 for a tower of colored bins was ridiculous.  Then I stumbled onto Pinterest and stumbled on this project to make recycle bin hangers! Perfection!!
We ran over to Walmart and got three plastic bins for $4 each! Then used some pallet wood to mount on the walls.   

Of course I ran into the house to get my trusty label maker!  I decided to put the paper on the bottom since it'll most likely be the heaviest bin.  I also combined glass and aluminium because they would be easy to sort through at the dumping station.  The middle bin is plastic!
And there you have it!  A recycling station that only cost us $12!  Now to fill them up!! To help I'll be storing smaller cans under the kitchen sink to catch any items and then dump them out in the garage on garbage day.

10 comments:

  1. Our city provides us with a trash bin a green bin for shrubs etc and a bin for recycling which they pick up. Thank goodness...'cause I don't know how creative I'd be about making bins. I woulda bought 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy... I love how green you are! Between the composting, the gardening, the recycling... I'm totally in love. :) These look fabulous. And I would totally make something like this too if our city didn't do it differently (we have one dumpster for "recyclables" and another for "general trash". It's Santa Monica though so I'm pretty sure they really do sort them.

    I just save our pop bottles and once the bag is full, find a homeless person to give the bag to (for the cash refunds)- which is just an easy way to help out some of the local people. Such a big homeless problem here :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. our city provides us with the same as Frugalista and Tami!

    but you are incredible! you truly are one green woman! i love all the steps you are taking to be more green ... i need to step it up a notch and each time you make a green post, it reminds me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let Dan put his soup cans in there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Danielle... haha. They are fruit fly protected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda understand the doubts about the hauler sorting, but if you are still putting these out for curbside pick-up, aren't they likely just all getting dumped in to the same truck bin that the "unsorted" stuff would be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you used vertical space and off the floor.

    Thanks for the tip!
    Visiting from Org Junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I wish I had a space for this. House is just to tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Rob, Actually we take them to a recycling center ourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!! Great idea and it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!