Friday, October 14, 2011

The China Hunt

I'm in desperate need of a china cabinet!  Currently all our fine china which we got as a gift for our wedding is safely tucked away in boxes in our basement.  I would love to have them displayed in our formal dining room, but I don't have anywhere to store them!  You may remember the Craigslist purchase of a small cabinet that I had in the corner of the room...
...well I sold it.  The problem was that it wasn't a corner cabinet so it was causing there to be dead space back there {which drove me crazy}!  I sold it to a lovely family who was going to use it to hold textbooks for their homeschooling...so I know it's in a good home!  Unfortunately that meant everything that I had stored in there is in storage bins.  For awhile I was trying to find a corner cabinet to fit there, but now I've been considering either a buffet or a full china cabinet with hutch.  It would go against that right wall.   But I really can't decide which style to go with. I've been searching Craigslist and of course have come along some great prospects for decent prices.  They all need some rehab work, but I don't mind!
Here are some of the china cabinets I found. 
For $50...
image 1

image 0
For $35... 
image 1
Or if I go the buffet route... I found one for $75
image 0
I don't know... The fact that I can get a better deal with the full hutch cabinet and have the extra storage space is definitely a plus!  I've been looking online for some inspiration on what I could do with it to really personalize it {besides painting it black}.  I really like these... 
Accenting with decorative paper or wallpaper

Check out this Before & After here

Ah... ok... enough of this!  I'm going to go take some measurements and make some offers!  Wish me luck! 

6 comments:

  1. My, my, my, the white one and the "after" shot of the last one are gorgeous! Looks like white paint and dark wood would match with your living room decor. Can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely love the second one! i think it would be perfect once you fix it up and everything!

    can't wait to see what you do ... i know it is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have a spot for a full china cabinet and love your newly acquired china... I say get the full thing!!! :) If not, buffets are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a bunch of pieces I would love to have in my own house! Especially that buffet! oooh! Looking forward to seeing what you pick. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are always right in synch with each other :) I've been searching high and low for a buffet for our dining room because our kitchen, does NOT have enough storage. Seems like your CL prices are way better than what I've been finding here though. But I'll keep searching until I find the perfect thing. I too have been looking forward to rehabbing something old into something new and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know............we are in the same predicament! I am looking for a china cabinet seriously because I have never displayed any of the china we got as wedding gifts almost 13 years ago (shame shame). All the best in your search and I hope you get just what you love and need!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!