Tuesday, November 29, 2011

China Cabinet Reveal!

Soooo excited to be making this post!  This has been a project that I've been working on for over a year.  At least the hunting for the perfect cabinet. (here, here, and here).  Then I finally found the cabinet I liked... and for the price.. I couldn't walk away. (Seller wanted $50... I offered $40 and he took it!)
Here was the cabinet before:
image 1
The cabinet itself was in great condition.  The back just needed to be reattached (staples) and it needed a good paint job...and new hardware.  To match the formal dining room I decided on black.  I primed it with a gray waterborne primer and top coated (2 coats) waterborne black.
I lined the back with fabric using spray adhesive.
Still slowly moving our wedding china in. I need Matt's muscles more and more these days to get things out of the basement. :)


 The hardware I got from Home Depot.  Had to do some drilling to space out a holes a little more to have them fit perfectly.

 So the room is almost complete!  (Even got that last chair upholstered finally!). I still need to paint the wine cabinet.  And to think... it's completely furnished by Craigslist for a total of $145 plus fabric for curtains, chairs and cabinet backdrop. 



20 comments:

  1. I am sooo impressed Kathy! It looks amazing! Fabulous job!! And the $ you spent, that is even more incredible! Can't wait to see the wine cabinet all completed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the black and white print in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Can't wait to see the little boy's room! LOL! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice try Danielle... but we won't know what we're having till birth day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh you truly sicken me. I'm never coming back to this blog. You lower my self esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dani... haha...you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful...what a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kathy, you've outdone yourself again, That just looks amazing and considering how much you spent....I am officially going to stay tune for ideas. This is the kind of DIY projects that I am talking about. One day, I might become this good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl this looks absolutely SPECTACULAR!!! I would totally buy this! So amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow impressive; you're a queen at what you do, dear. A QUEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Amazing transformation! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! I love the black and white dining room. New follower here. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-10.html

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! That is stunning!! What a SUPER STEAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My my, you are sooo talented. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! WOW!!! Great job! :)

    So nice to 'meet' you today! I blog at "Only A Breath" and would love for you to stop by and visit :)

    Hugs!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh WOW!! This is soooooooo cool! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love some more information on how you redid the backdrop. I have a similar piece and want to update the backdrop but don't want to ruin the furniture in the process. Can I paint it? If so, what type of paint. How did you attach the fabric??? I would love to try my hand at it! Please reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ann, Thanks for the comment and I apologize for just getting back to you now. I would encourage you to try fabric first and see how you like the contrast. I was able to remove the back piece and I simply wrapped the fabric and stapled it on the back...which was against the wall and you couldn't see it. You could also glue it on with spray adhesive... but I don't know how long it would last. If you did chose to paint, I recommend any Sherwin Williams interior latex paint...I like it more on the glossy side.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!