Monday, August 27, 2012

Marriage & Motherhood Monday

...on life changes because of the child...

You know the saying..."A baby changes everything".  And how true is that!  Before Avery was born, Matt and I didn't fully realize how much free time really had to ourselves.  We really could just jump in the car and drive to who-knows-where without thinking twice.  But things have changed...and I don't want to say that it's worse, because it's not.  It's all just different.  We had to readjust our lives to accommodate an new person in our family.

Going Out to Eat... 
We can't just go to the restaurant anymore.  We need to make sure we pack Avery with food, a toy, blanket, change of clothes, diapers and his carrier.  I can't even start to worry about what we'll be carting around once he's actually sitting up!

Going Shopping...
It's best if we pack up the diaper bag as though we'll be gone for hours, but if I know it's just a quick trip we'll just take him without anything. (Risky.. I know)  But we do make an effort to park next to the cart corrals so that we have easy access to put his carrier in.


Visiting with Friends...
For now, Avery pretty much is attached to me (since I'm his sole food source)...but as he gets older, we'll need to start considering if he's "invited" to events with friends (especially the ones who don't have children). I remember hosting functions and trying to find the appropriate way of saying, "no children please".  I know...it sounds rude, but people who don't have children don't necessarily want to hang with other people's kids.  :)

Date nights... 
Matt and I are just starting to get into our date nights again.  I will admit that the first couple months mommy has a hard time letting baby out of her site to have a good time, but it's very important that mom and dad get some quality one-on-one time together.  On our last date, Matt and I dropped off Avery at my parents' house during a Saturday afternoon and went out for lunch and a movie.  Even though it was during the day, it was nice to just have some time for the two of us. We have plans coming up for a night out at a hibachi steakhouse!

Going on vacation...
We recently returned from a trip to Canada.  It was Avery's first real trip with us and it was awesome!  I'll do a post about it here soon, but it was definitely uneventful.  We didn't realize how much gear Avery was going to need, so it was a learning process for sure.  We had to consider where he would sleep, his bathtub, diapers, how portable his milk would be, stroller, backpack carrier, enough clothes and spit up cloths...just to name a few.  In the end, I think we did a pretty good job.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have any children myself, but I remember summers when my baby sister was little. My mom would be running around trying to pack everything just so we could go to the store and get groceries. It was crazy trying to get ready to go anywhere. But I wouldn't have had it any other way! I love my baby sister so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family. Hard work, but you can see you are enjoying it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got it going on. seriously. i am so impressed with you!

    and that picture of the three of you is so cute. absolutely love it!

    can't wait for your recap on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute family picture! You all look so cute and happy!

    Hubby and I haven't thought about date night. We have it every Wednesday. We're going to have to discuss that soon.

    Looking forward to reading your vacation recap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. When they say a baby changes EVERYTHING it's really true!! Not that I know first hand but I've definitely seen it. Even things you normally think are simple and take for granted (not even talking about sleep!!) no longer are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A baby sure changes the way you do and view things. I feel that you have it figured out though and I just love that you don't let it keep you down. Can't wait to hear about your trip to Canada and I really like that family picture of you guys tho Avery is not looking your and Matt's smile make up for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!