Monday, October 29, 2012

Marriage & Motherhood Monday!

...on homemade baby food!

I've had a lot of comments/questions come in on our process with lil A's baby food.  This will be a short version of what we do.  I hope to go into more depth during our 30 day challenge next month when we tackle meal planning!  (I hope you're all getting excited for that!!)
So, yes...lil A is eating solid food.  He actually started at 3 1/2 months old and is just now branching out to new fruits and veggies.



The Gear (Here's the stuff you need to make DIY baby food easier)

A food processor or blender (I have the Magic Bullet and it works perfectly!)
An Ice Cube Tray (I purchased a stainless steel one)
Large Freezeable Container 


The Process
1) Choose the Produce - For lil A's first foods we decided to pick one veggie and one fruit and cook up separately.  It wasn't until he was a little older did we begin combining them.  We preferred using fresh produce rather than anything canned.
Here's what we've used so far: Sweet Potatoes, Butternut Squash, Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, Pears, Peaches, Plums and Apples.

2) Prep the food - It's important to make sure you really wash the food since you'll be either boiling or steaming them and using that water to help getting the consistency when blending.

3) Cooking - Either steam or boil the food.  I like to use these sites for their recipes and recommendations.
{Wholesome Baby Food}and {Once a Month Mom.  After the food is cooked, peel, deseed and puree in a food processor.  Use the water that was used for cooking or breast milk to bring to the right consistency.  Keep in mind, a lot of the fruits do not need extra liquid.

4) Freeze - Pour the pureed food into an ice cube tray and set.  Once frozen, remove from tray and store in a freezeable container such as ziploc bags or as I prefer...a covered glass dish.


5) Serve - When it's time to eat, all you need to do is throw a couple cubes in a bowl and heat in the microwave for 30-40 sec. (or until warm).  Make sure you mix through it well to get rid of any hot spots.  I love to use these wean green jars that I purchased awhile back. They freeze well and make traveling with lil A's food a breeze!  And they're super cute!!

Anyone else make your own baby food?  Would love to hear the combinations you and your little one enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is an eye opener for me! I was getting frustrated with making her food and she doesn't eat it. Freezing is such a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this method before, but I love it! I'll have to keep this tip in mind whenever I finally have a little one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!