Tuesday, November 6, 2012

30-day Challenge: Week 1-Weekly Food Prep & Freezer Meals

...Weekly Food Prep & Freezer Meals

So I hope everyone is getting a little out of this week of meal planning organizing!  I know I've managed to get my butt into gear and reduce a lot of clutter in the kitchen, fridge & freezer!  Even Matt is getting involved in meal planning!  So as our last task I'm going to share some awesome food prep guides and recipes that freeze well!

So here are some food prepping I do to help me during the week.


1) Buy Meat in Bulk & Package Individually: I usually get about 5lbs of ground beef and cook it all.  Then I vacuum pack individual pounds. For chicken and steaks, I package in pairs and usually with some marinade.  That way all we have to do is pull out the meat in the morning and throw it in the fridge to thaw and marinate while we work! :)
2) Can or Freeze Veggies for Sauces: Let's be honest... sometimes we don't get a chance to eat all those veggies before they start to go bad.  Each week I gather together those... on the verge veggies and throw them all in a single bag and freeze them for later.  They work out great for omelets, spaghetti sauce, pizza or even just as stirfry with some chicken or beef.

3) Make Freezer Meals: Why not just make whole meals and freeze them for those lazy days?!  Here are some websites that feature recipes I just love!!

  1. Six Sisters Stuff - 8 fantastic freezer recipes!  Chicken Alfredo is my favorite!
  2. Once A Month Mom - Awesome recipes for every type of person in your home!  Each one is freezeable as well!
  3. Happy Money Saver - 50 meals! ... yes 50! 

{What type of food prep do you do??}
So what's my go to recipe?  One of Matt's favorites is my crockpot whole chicken.  Super easy to make...I don't even measure anything. :)

Crock-pot Whole Chicken

Ingredients
Small Whole Chicken (de-gutted and washed)
2 medium onions (chopped in quarters)
1 Tbs each of Salt and Pepper (I would say to taste, but this is chicken..lol...)
2 Chicken flavored Boullion cubes
Hot Water
Seasoning ( I like Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion and Garlic Garlic)

Throw everything into the crockpot and fill with hot water.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Come home to a house smelling... delish!  Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie ( I usually do green beans or corn).   If you drain off the juices... you can make a killer soup the next day adding a can of cream of mushroom and some egg noodles.  :)

Get ready to share and feature
Tomorrow!!! 

 ************************************************************
{How to Participate}

1) Copy Paste the Button (Right column-->) in a blog post of your own.  Let your followers know you're participating in an awesome challenge and encourage them to join in as well!

2) Dedicate one day a week to blog about your progress... post the link on my page so that I can feature it on my blog!

{Grab a Button and Get Challenged!}

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of this challenge. Freezing meals is a big time saver and it makes me feel like a good little homemaker. What I usually do is buy a bunch of meat in bulk and season like you do and then separate them into zip lock bags. I label them accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also do this... it makes cooking meals so much easier! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!