Thursday, November 15, 2012

30-Day Challenge: Week 3 - Good Morning Routine

Well we're entering week 3!  How is everyone doing so far?  I've visited a few of your blogs and saw that week one was very productive for many of you.  I'm glad to see you're all taking from this challenge what caters to you.  I don't want you all to be overwhelmed and feel you have to do each and every step...a lot of this is setup to motivate and/or inspire you to get your life back in order. :)  So let's continue on with the next challenge.
...Establishing a morning routine!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not a morning person!...at all.  Problem is, I have a child who care less about that tiny fact. :)  Ironically, since becoming a mom I've transitioned into this motivated morning zombie person...but I have to have a very strict routine in order to get us all out the door at the same time!  Here are some steps I took to get my routine down...


  1. Give yourself enough sleep: If you have to be up early... make a huge effort to get to bed earlier.  We'll go over setting up a night routine in a few days, but it's important that you try and get between 7-9 hours of sleep as an adult. (According to the Sleep Foundation) Must be nice huh?!  haha... I'll admit I'm lucky if I get a full 6 hours... so this is something I'm still working on.  The thing is, after a good night's sleep you're more alert and eager to start your day!
  2. Make a list of what you need to get done in the morning: Do you need to make breakfast, lunches, pack a diaper bag?... Write down everything you need to do.  Even brushing your teeth...these are things that take time to do!  Organize them into sections.  For example.  I try to move through the house from upstairs down to the front door.  So I get ready... get the baby  ready... do what needs to get done in the kitchen...then pack the car and leave.  
  3. Give yourself enough time: When I think about everything I have to get done in the morning it sometimes seems overwhelming.  By organizing what needs to get done, I now know how much time I need to complete them...so I wake up at the right time (with an extra 10 min) to give  myself ample time to get things done.  Keep in mind, when we discuss the night routine, their will be some things that can be prepped for the morning before going to bed (ex: packing diaper bag, outfit, breakfast...etc)
  4. Make your schedule and trial run it: This is super important... trial run your schedule for a week.  You'll be surprised what unexpected items might get added or dropped.  Adjust your setup and try it again.  Try hard to stick to it!!  Before you know it, it'll be second nature! Maybe you have extra time to throw in a load of laundry or get the crockpot started for dinner? :)
So here's my morning in a nutshell!
It seems simple...and honestly it should be.  Matt helps out a lot by getting our breakfast made and lunches packed.  Based on how busy the day is he'll either throw in some cinnamon rolls or make bacon, egg & cheese English muffin sandwiches to-go!  (We'll talk next week about fitting in good eats and exercise while maintaining a busy schedule)All-in-all this works for us! 

Let me know what your morning routine includes!  Would love to hear ideas on helping things move along quickly... or great wake-up ideas! 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm - morning routine!! I have one but I am wondering if I should adjust it during the kids school holidays or just stick to it through the holidays. I always find it hard to go back to it once school starts again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are doing a challenge...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so organized. I need to be just like you, it will definitely make my life easier. I am so not a morning person tho but I am working on it. I love this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh, life would be so much easier if i was as organized as you. wowza. i think i'll pick up these habits when i have a kiddo, hehe. there i go, procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!