Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bridging the Gap...above the mantel...complete!

So remember this post?  I wanted a mirror placed above our mantel to fill that dead space?  Well we finished it... back in November. lol  I just hadn't gotten the time to take pics and post them.  Plus the Christmas decor came in...and yeah.  So here was the original plan. 

Before: So plain!  The space above the fireplace was screaming for something.  At first we were going to mount our tv, but the height of the fireplace is higher than normal.  To watch the tv from that angle would be uncomfortable. 
Plan:We decided to put a mirror up there.  I had one in storage that would fit perfectly.  Deciding to go vertically instead of horizontally was easy because the vertical brought the eyes up to the lofted ceilings in  the room.  The metal stars were brought in to help hid the screw holes as well as bring in a "country" element to the space... Matt appreciated that! 


The mirror was in storage...so that was free.  It was used in my mom's tailor shop, so it had screws at each corner for hanging. We screwed it to the wall using heavy duty wall anchors since we couldn't get into a stud.
Matt went to Home Depot and purchased the molding that matched the one surrounding the fireplace.  He then cut out a custom frame and attached it to the mirror. He then caulked the edges for a a seamless look.
 I strategically placed the metal stars to cover up the screw holes.  
I then decorated with some candles we had laying around from our wedding (Reuse...reuse...reuse!).


Overall, I think it turned out great!  It only took a total of a couple hours to fully assemble and hang too! I have some more decorating I'd like to incorporate...so stay tuned for that!

16 comments:

  1. it looks so good Kathy! LOVE! now come over and decorate my house ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha... thanks! That reminds me...we need to plan our blog date soon!

      Delete
  2. Your mantel looks great. What a neat idea to frame out a mirror! I've seen it done in bathrooms but never would have thought to do it elsewhere in our house. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone said - yeah so i'm gunna take some metal stars and put them around a mirror over my mantle - I'd be like: no please dont. But seeing it, it really works. It sounds like an odd thing, but it looks lovely! It just works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I was so hesitant at first... but it worked out. I actually had like 4 additional stars...but Matt vetoed them because it was getting crowded lol

      Delete
  4. What an awesome idea! I might have to use it. We will have a similar wall once we move in a few weeks. Need to start getting more ideas for around the house so I'll be frequenting your old and new posts.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting!! Hope your move goes smoothly! Can't wait to see what you do with a blank canvas!!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I was so excited to see the finished product! It looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks great. Thanks for sharing this idea, I'll make sure I'll ask my mom to use it.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comment!

      Delete
  7. Gorgoeus. It looks really nice. You are so crafty and are turning your house into a beautiful home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, Amy said it well, you are so crafty. I always enjoy your DIY posts, they seem so easy when you do it :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you hang the stars? And, oh my, you and your photo editing abilities. Why can't I ever figure out how to do those things?!?! What software are you using? I have so many questions. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stars I just hung with nails... well positioned nails. :) The stars Actually had small cutout holes in the detail...so I utilized those to put small nails through. I'm assuming you're asking about the "plan" photo shot...I just used Powerpoint. I'll show you some time!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!