Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY Growth Chart

With the prospect of lil A becoming an official walker here in the soon horizon, I've been researching some growth charts to put in his room so we can  track his height. :)  At first we were just going to draw on the wall in his closet, using a vinyl applique that matched the nursery but if we moved, we wouldn't be able to take that with us plus it wouldn't match the decor as he grew up!! (Gotta think ahead!)
Animal Stack Growth Chart Wall Decal - Safari Jungle Vinyl Wall Art - Elephant Lion Giraffe - CC102
Source: Etsy
childrens removable vinyl wall decal  Elephant Giraffe Monkey Lion Birds growth chart great for any nursery kids room or playroom
Source: Etsy
So I kept researching and stumbled upon giant wooden ruler growth charts!!  Omg it's perfect!  We could even keep in downstairs if we really wanted... which I'm actually considering as I type this. :)
Source: Etsy
Well, I started shopping...and the prices were not sitting well with me!  And that didn't include shipping!  I mean, come on... how hard is this to make?  Turns out... not hard at all!  I found this awesome tutorial online.  Basically sand smooth a 6 foot board, stain, add a ruler decal and clear if you'd like...otherwise...done!
So I found my decal and ordered it from this awesome etsy seller (Little Acorns by Ro) who designs ruler decals that alternate sides... love.  I considered personalizing, but I really like the fact that we can use it for all the future kiddos but... it's visually artistic!!
Growth Chart Ruler - DIY Vinyl Decal - Alternating style
Source: Etsy
So I haven't even told Matt about this project. ( I know... crazy excited lady over here!)  I did tell lil A and got a gummy smile and wet kiss on the cheek.  But, the fact that I need a fairly large slab of wood...that would require Matt's truck and haul-around...I should probably give him a heads up.  Well this morning as I was warming up my car I noticed this beauty sitting in the corner.  (Insert: "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" -Dirty Dancing quote)

It's a leftover piece from when we custom built lil A's nursery built-ins.  (You can see pics of that project here).  It's the perfect width and height, well maybe a tad too tall, but Matt can surely trim it down for me lil A.  It's great wood too.  Now, maybe I should consider putting it just outside the kitchen...

Anywho... I've been stalking etsy for my shipping confirmation. So. Freaking. Excited!


9 comments:

  1. hahaha, it's amazing that i'm feeling excitement for you too!

    i guess, i just think we're kindred spirits. you're just a more crafty, organized and creative spirit ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the coolest idea!!! I totally want to make one now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeeee this idea! I'm totally not a d-i-y girl and will likely just order one but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Hey... you never know... this may turn into your own etsy shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I wish I had time to do an etsy shop. I'm more content shopping though! :)

      Delete
  4. What an awesome idea. I am sure it'll turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, this is such a great idea. I can't wait to see how you do it. I saw these online for mucho money and I thought maybe I should DIY this. I found this awesome blog where she pretty much did what you want to do

    Check out what she did, very similar to your idea
    http://julia-transition.blogspot.com/2013/01/check-mark-diy-ruler-growth-charts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Love it! Thanks for the link. Stay tuned for project dets!

      Delete
  6. This is really cool. It's a great way to keep track of the kids height. I need to start shopping where you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to make one of these for a while now and never got around to it. Love that you can take it with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!