Thursday, May 9, 2013

Our Son's 1st Birthday (Part 4)

Favors & Games

I love making favors.  I don't know why... but I love coming up with a take-home gift that takes the party home for all our guests.  This was no exception.  I didn't want to send the kiddos home with more candy and trinkits that the parents didn't want in the house.  (Like apparently Play-doh is a HUGE no-no for most parents!!  Didn't know this!)  Anywho... I decided to go with a food based favor that went with our theme: Trail Mix!  Instead of buying the store-bought I made it using foods that were pretty baby friendly... and no nuts!
Ingredients: Pretzels, Gold Fish Crackers, m&ms and raisins
I wanted something else for each family to be able to take home as well...so we made cookie-in-a-jar recipes.  I scaled them down to 1 pint and decorated them with bandanna print fabric and labels with detailed instructions for make a batch of m&m chocolate chip cookies!





 Games:  We set up two game stations.  Nothing fancy...but we wanted the kids that were coming to have something fun to do.   The first station was "Wrangle a Cow, Wrestle a Pig".  We had a play pin filled with cow and pig balloons that were numbered.  The kids first drew from a basket a number for either a pig or cow.  They then had to go in and find that numbered animal!  With the wind already whipping around, this turned out to be a really fun game for the kids and adults who were trying to corral the runaway balloons!





The second was a "Pan for Gold" station.  My sister graciously got this cute elevated sandbox for A for his birthday present.  It arrived about a month ago! :)  We filled it with sand and hid a bag worth of mini-snickers for the kids to dig for.  Weather was perfect and the candies didn't melt.  The built-in umbrella helped a ton too!  It was funny when the first kid noticed that there was candy hidden...it really was a "gold rush"!




Found one!!
Didn't realize A was accumulating a chocolate stash...just like his parents! 



Missed the previous recaps?
Part 1 - The Cake
Part 2 - Monthly Update
Part 3 - Photo Dump

8 comments:

  1. Loved this party. Felt like I was there.
    Happy birthday To A. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! How creative! I love the pan of gold idea! I just might use it :-). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Got the idea on Pinterest!

      Delete
  3. Such a great party! I love that A was so involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised he was so involved! He played each game and sat to open gifts. Couldn't have asked for a better temperament.

      Delete
  4. How perfect! I stalked the whole series with a pen and pad and you have my creative juices flowing! Good Job Mama!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!