Thursday, May 23, 2013

There's a hole in the Wall (Part 2)

If you missed part 1 of this series showing the Design & Demolition...you can catch up here!

So the final design was to have four squares set-in with a 4.5 inch ledge.  This ended up being a lot deeper than I expected!  As I was hunting for what I would fill it with, Matt had set the bracing josts, adding new dry wall, and began the light installation.  I wish I could say more details, but lets be honest...I don't know. :)
We decided a light feature would be nice, so Matt ordered to recessed lighting online.  He wired them in so that they had their own light switch on the main frame for the hallway. I won't pretend to act like I understand electrical stuff...so I just count my blessings that I married an expert.

 
 The lights work and wow... what a difference it makes to the space.
 You can see in the back wall still needs to be patched for all the cut marks....but overall the serious hard work in complete!


 I don't have pictures of the process but Matt laid dry wall over that center hole and patched up the edges.  After edging, he went through a week long process of mudding, drying, sanding...repeat.  He did this until he had a smooth surface that was ready for painting! 
Stay tuned for the finished look!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see the finished process! Sean needs to learn from Matt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys make DIY project look so easy. Can't wait to see the result, knowing you it will look like a magazine spread :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!