Thursday, October 17, 2013

Airplane Travel with a Toddler

We're heading to Puerto Rico for a week long family vacation...well 10-days.  We were supposed to go on a cruise with my family and extended fam/friends.  But I had to go get knocked up and miss the preggo deadline of 24 weeks!  Yup...I'll be 4 weeks too large and therefore a cruise risk!  So...we got our money back and decided to rent a house on Puerto Rico and have our mini family vacation / babymoon!  The rest of the family will spend the first 3 days with us then go on the cruise.
Puerto Rico – Wallpaper Wallpaper
Source
Yes...it was sad to have to cancel and I would be lying if I said I didn't cry a little.  But Matt reminded me that there would be other trips and cruises.  And now we had a whole new destination to plan out!  Lil A is obviously coming with us...but now that we're on our own for a week...we no longer have that family cushion of childcare lol.   But we're ready for a nice relaxing trip whereby we can give lil A some extra attention before his sibling arrives!

So our 10-hour trip includes a 2-hour trip to the airport and flight with one layover.  We chose an out-of-town airport because the fare was soooo much cheaper!  It leaves at 6am...so we'll be driving through the wee-hours of the night.  Perfect time to travel with a young one.  The objective is that they sleep through most of it. :)
 So of course...I made a list of items to back for lil A.  I need to organize myself now to make sure we don't forget anything! I'm a huge fan of this site...definitely helped keep my mind at ease and remember some key items.

Clothes
Shirts: T-shirts, Polos, Sleeveless (15)
Pants: Jeans & Linen (5)
Shorts (15)
Jacket / Hoodie
PJ's
Swimming Trunks & Sun Shirt
Shoes: Sandals, Tennis Shoes, Water/Hiking Shoes (here)
Hats
Socks
Bibs

Toiletry
Diapers - Normal and Swim
Wipes
Scented Disposable Bags (here)
Baby Wash
Shampoo/ Conditioner / Leave-In Conditioner (the kid has products for those curls!)
Lotion / Baby Oil
Nail Clippers
Diaper Rash Cream
Toothbrush & Paste
Hair Brush
Sunscreen

Travel Gear
Umbrella Stroller (here)...purchased a few months ago for this trip in particular.  We love it!
Stroller Bag - for airport when being checked.
Carrier (here)...another purchase we love!
Car Seat (For Rental Car)
Car Seat Bag - for airport when being checked
Car Seat Dolly (Optional...still deciding if we really need it) (here)
Flight Seat Harness (here) since his carseat is large and bulky for plane.
Diaper Bag - stocked with diapers and wipes! Change of clothes
Backbag - Entertainment supplies (coloring books, crayons, books, stickers, magnetic sketchpad, snacks)

Misc
Blanket(s)
Mr. Teddy
Sound Machine Lamb (here)...to remind him of home when sleeping
Sippy Cups
Binky (for emergency use only!) / Party Blowers
First Aid Kit - Tylenol
Life Jacket - for the beach
Food Bag - Bottle Brush, Snack Cups
Hand Sanitizer
Passport


Did I miss anything?!?!  Since we're in the middle of transferring seasonal clothing, I'm going to start packing for the trip as well!  I want to be ahead of the game. :)

12 comments:

  1. you are so organized! i can't get over it.

    and Puerto Rico! my little sister loved it! you'll have a great time. i'm already looking forward to your pictures. take plenty for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can capture some amazing photos you can be proud of!! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow that is organized!

    What conditioner do you use for your baby's hair? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently switched to Just For Me Hair Milk Shampoo and Conditioner. I sometimes use Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner on dry days... so far I'm loving and S&C... his curls look tighter and softer without the frizz by the end of the day. :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome. Thank you! I'll have to pick up a bottle. I didn't know Garnier made leave in for kids. I will check that out as well. I have been on the hunt for one for my little girl. She so needs it and has so much hair so I need something that makes it softer for me to work with.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. Oh the garnier isn't for kids... lol... but it works! Just For Me has a leave-in conditioner too but I haven't tried it out yet. ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are all ready to go. You guys are going to have so much fun, can't wait to hear back about the experience. For our son's last few flights we brought some birthday party blowers just in case he loss interest in the pacifiers and I was glad we did because he wanted nothing to do with them. They were helpful for his little ears but they were also a fun distraction for him. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Party blowers what a great idea! I'll add them to the list! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Dude, you are so dang organized. I just throw the kids on the plane and hope for the best :) (ok, I lied a little bit there, I do plan some).

    Can't wait to hear how it all goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha... That's what I'd love to be able to do...I think with an infant it would be so much easier. But now that lil A is so active..God bless it.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got your money back. I went on a wedding cruise with Carnival in February and one of my college friends who booked her ticket before she knew she was pregnant was not allowed to go and Carnival wouldn't refund her money!! The bride wrote them a very angry letter but I am not sure what the resolution was. What cruise line were you going to travel with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're with Royal Caribbean. We had booked through a travel agent and cancelled within the 90 days that they have on their contract...so we were lucky. Sorry to hear about your friend. I read horror stories of women being denied access at the gate for being pregnant and not having the proper paperwork to prove how far along etc... I didn't want to take a chance. :/

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!