Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lil R's Birth Story

Sitting here writing this I can't believe I'm the mother of two healthy boys.  God has truly blessed our family and I've been thanking Him daily for it.  As you know this pregnancy went about the same as it did with lil A.  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes halfway through and it was predicted I would have a slightly larger that normal child via c-section.  With that said, the doctor gave me the option to try naturally but I wasn't allowed to go past February 24th...otherwise they scheduled me for a c-section that morning.  As our due date of February 20th crept by I realized this kid was going to be as stubborn as I am.  I mentally prepared myself for a c-section delivery.  That Monday morning, we headed to the hospital at 10 am.  Being a surgery I was asked not to eat or drink since dinner the night before.  You can imagine how ravenous I was.  I tried not to think about it, but I caught myself salivating at the sight of saltine crackers near the coffee station in the hospital hallway.  Yeah...this mommy wanted a steak.

The part that completely calmed any nerves I had was one of my nurses, Glenda.  She's a family friend who attends our church and I was so glad she was on shift to be there with us.  Glenda, if you're reading this... Thank you so much for being a part of our special day!!
They hooked me up to the monitors and told me to hang tight until noon when they would take me back for the surgery.  It was so surreal sitting there with both our parents, my sister and Avery.  We were all waiting on the arrival of our lil guy who was scheduled to arrive shortly.  Time seemed to creep by and speed up all at the same time.  Next thing I knew the anesthesiologist came in to give me the run down on the drugs they were going to administer.  This is where the experience was different this time around.  If you remember, lil A's birth story began with my water breaking.  I fought getting an epidural until after 20+ hours of labor with pitocin. This time around I was going to receive just a spinal that was similar but I figured a lot less drugs than before.

Before they wheeled me out we paused to pray.  It was serene having my surgical staff and family in the room praying for a safe delivery.  I don't know if they all believed in God, but I felt a lot more at ease when we were done.  I looked at Matt and took a deep breath...it was time to have our baby.

In the operating room I started to panic.  I was so nervous for some reason.  Mainly about the spinal I was about to receive.  It's like I was aware of all the risks and the "high" of having a baby wasn't overshadowing it.  I'm not a fan of needles...but when I get shots I have to watch it happen.  Kinda hard when it's in your back.  So as I'm sitting on the edge of the table the anesthesiologist began talking me through what he was doing and kept telling me to arch my back and push the small of my back towards him.  There was to be burning sensations, pinches, less burning, etc.  Ugh it hurt so bad.  I was gripping the nurses hand so hard and trying to find a happy face while the needles jabs continued.  Eventually I stopped feeling them...and we were all happy for that.  Then my legs went numb...which was creepy.  They laid me down and continued to prep while they also regulated my drug flow.  I started to feel loopy and tired which I had hoped wouldn't be the case again...but that's drugs for ya.   So I patiently waited for them to ask Matt back in.  When he did come in, I started crying.  I was really scared.  Deep down I knew everything would be ok, but I felt exposed and vulnerable in the sense that I had no feeling from my arms down.  My need to break the tension began with my first joke of the day...I looked at Matt and said, "I bet if I concentrate really hard...I can wiggle my toes and scare the crap out of the doctor".  He told me not to do that. haha...

It felt like we were waiting forever as we started taking guesses on his birth weight (I guessed 8lbs 12oz and Matt guessed 9lbs even) and playing songs on Matt's iPhone .  We hadn't actually  made a playlist this time around so he was jumping through a lot of genres.  At one point our doctor requested Linkin Park.  I insisted she at least tell us when the baby was about to make his debut so I could abruptly switch it to another artist haha.  Well, before we knew it she said it was time to play our birth song.  We chose "All of Me" by John Legend.  About halfway through (after some weird tugs) our son made his debut into the world and drowned out the rest of the song with his cry.  He had arrived...
On the scale...and still crying...he weighed in at 8lbs 15oz.  (Matt won the guess!).  Lil R continued to cry as they moved him under the heat lamps and cleaned him up.
The crying continued as they wrapped him up and brought him to us... then he stopped.  He simply stopped and looked at us.  He knew what I knew...he was ours just as much as we were his.

The rest of this love story is happening as we're watching him grow each day...

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful birth story! I have loved John a legend since I was in college. If/when he comes to your city, go see him in concert, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! This really touched me. Thanks so much for sharing your story. You truly are blessed. Thanking God for a safe delivery. It is easy to see that you were in the right hands both physically and spiritually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so, so beautiful! Congrats, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing birth story!!! Congratulations to all of you!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, what an amazing entrance into the world. I love that pic of your sis Jenny holding A as they were wheeling you away. Beautiful moment captured there.

    Welcome to the world baby R, you are already so loved

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaawwwww!!!! So sweet! I pray you continue to experience God as you bring up two boys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. Even if you are not a blogspot member you can still leave a message...all are welcome and greatly appreciated!